Area in production: 33 350 hectares, of which:
- The Champagne houses 3 400 hectares
- The growers own 29 900 hectares and
Production: 320 million bottles, of which:
- The Champagne houses produce 219 million bottles,
- The growers 72 million bottles,
- The cooperatives 28 million bottles.
Number of “producers”: 5133 (not strictly speaking; it’s just the sum of the below), of which:
- Champagne houses: 340
- Growers who own their land and bottle and sell their own champagne (so called recoltant-manipulant, RM): 2 016
- Growers belonging to a cooperative: 2 735
- Cooperatives: 42
This really shows the importance of a good relationship between the growers and the houses.
- Chardonnay: 9 950 hectares (29,1 % of total surface)
- Pinot meunier: 11 000 hectares (32, 2 % of total surface)
- Pinot noir: 13 111 hectares (38, 4 % of total surface)
- Arbanne, petit meslier, pinot blanc, pinot gris: <0.02%
Thank you Champagne Philippe Gamet for (most of) the figures!
This post is also available in: Swedish