Short Gastronomic Glossary: English-French-Swedish
This glossary contains words and expressions that you may encounter when you go shopping for food. It is based on real life experience which is why some translations are different from what you might find in (some) dictionaries. For example: all dictionaries that I have seen translates the French chantarelle to the Swedish kantarell, which you can easily see is a faulty translation by going to the market and taking a look at the chantarelles.
We would very much appreciate your help in improving this glossary. Please send us a message with your comments, additions or corrections.
The Glossary is split into sections by subject matter.
- Cheese – Fromages – Ost
- Charcuteries/Delicatessen – Charcuteries – Charkuterier
- Poultry – Volaille – Fågel
- Game Birds – Gibier De Plume – Viltfågel
- Game – Gibier – Vilt
- Butcher – Boucherie – Slaktare
- Offal et al. – Abats – Inälvsmat
- Fish/shellfish/seafood – Poissonnerie – Fiskaffär
- Vegetables (legumes) – Légumes – Grönsaker
- Fruit, Berries – Fruits, Baies – Frukt Och Bär
- Mushrooms – Champignons – Svamp
- Herbs, Spices – (Fines) Herbes, Epices – Örtkryddor, Kryddor
- Various/Other – Divers – Diverse
This glossary is available to you free of charge. In return we ask that you help us improve it:
Send us a message if you have any corrections, additions, questions or other comments!
This post is also available in: Swedish