The wine world is not only small picturesque vineyards in a rural setting with a horse pulling a plough between the vines. There are also large groups with international businesses.
Euromonitor has listed the top ten wine producers in the world for 2016:
- E & J Gallo, 2.7% of world production, USA
- Constellation Brands, 1.7%, USA
- The Wine Group, 1.5%, USA
- Treasury Wine Estate, 1.12%, Australia
- Viña Concha y Toro, 1.03%, Chile
- Castel Frères, 1.02%, France
- Accolade Wines, 0.97%, Australia
- Pernod Ricard, 0.97%, France, who, however, virtually does not make any wine in France (except champagne)
- Grupo Peñaflor, 0.9%, Argentina
- FeCoVitA Coop, 0.70%, Argentina, the only co-operative on the list
- Total together: 12.62% of world production.
All of these produce wines under a multitude of brands rather than under their own name. The only names found on a label would be Gallo and Concha y Toro.
Read more: vitisphere.com
This post is also available in: Swedish