227 million litres of wine (2.8 M hl) was sold in 2013, up 4% on 2012. This is an all time high for rioja. Never has so much Rioja been sold.
A few years back Rioja was struggling. Decreasing sales. But now Rioja is apparently back, breaking records.
Here are more numbers:
- 90% of sales is red wine, the remainder is split equally between white and rosé
- Rioja Crianza, the biggest category, represents 36% of sales, and “plain” Rioja 35%
- Rioja Gran Reserva is only 2% but it is the category that has seen the biggest growth, +17%
- The biggest export markets are the UK, Germany, the USA, and Switzerland. China comes on 8th place.
- The Netherlands overtook Sweden in 2013 to reach 5th place.
Read more here riojawine.com