Drinks International follows what happens on the international drinks market. They recently published a special issue on the world’s top brands. Here are a few pickings.
Which is the world’s biggest selling spirit? Smirnoff? Absolut? Bacardi?
No, not at all.
It is a brand called Jinro, a soju. Jinro is made in South Korea and sells 64 million 9 l cases (the standard measure for spirits). Soju is a spirit similar to vodka, but generally weaker, around 20% (between 18% and 40%) and slightly sweet and its main market is Korea.
Here are the top ten selling sprits brand in the world (brand, category, volume):
- Jinro, soju, 64 M 9 l-cases
- Smirnoff, vodka, 24 M
- Lotte Liquor, soju, 23 M
- Pirassununga 51, cachaca, 20 M
- Bacardi, rum, 19 M
- Tanduay, rum, 18 M
- Bagpiper, whisky (Indian), 16 M
- Officer’s Choice, whisky (Indian), 16 M
- Johnnie Walker, whisky (Scotch), 16 M
- McDowell’s No.1, whisky (Indian), 14 M
There are 172 spirits brands selling more than 1 million 9 l cases. (Source: Drinks International)
This post is also available in: Swedish