Bordeaux exported 2 million hectolitres of wine (270 million bottles) in 2016. The region accounts for 17% of French wine exports in volume and 36% of the value. China and the US compensate for declining exports to Europe. The six largest markets for Bordeaux wines in value are:
- China: The growth continues and China is the biggest export country since 2015, both in volume and value. A third of the wines cost less than € 3 per litre (export price).
- Hong Kong: Very focused on high-end wines. In seventh place for volume.
- United States: Also a third place in terms of volume. The largest amount of wines is between 4.5 and 9 € per litre (export price).
- United Kingdom: Since the financial crisis of 2008/2009, exports to the UK is a little shaky. In fourth place also for volume.
- Belgium: A small country but very faithful to Bordeaux. In second place in terms of volume.
Read more: bordeaux.com
You can also get lots of detailed info in the video of the press conference on the Bordeaux market 2016.
You can join us on a wine tour to Bordeaux this autumn to get a chance to taste these great wines. And also a few places left on the spring tour in May.
This post is also available in: Swedish