TopMenuEN

A rosé made from sangiovese – Aurora from Poggerino i Radda in Chianti | Åsa’s Wine of the Month

Piero Lanza, Fattoria Poggerino

Piero Lanza, Fattoria Poggerino

It is very seldom you find a rosé wine made from sangiovese grapes, but that’s what they do at Poggerino i Radda in Chianti. 24 hours after the harvest, destemming and the vatting of the sangiovese grapes 15% of the must is removed in what is called bleeding (saignée). These fifteen percent are what in time will become the rosé wine while the remaining 85% will become the red wine (that thus will be more concentrated).

The rosé wine is called Aurora and is fermented in stainless steel tanks. You should drink it when it is young and fresh, flowery but not at all cloying. The acidity that sometimes can be quite high in the sangiovese grape keeps the wine very lively. A wine that goes well both with simpler starters or a good pasta dish, and even to white meats like chicken or veal, provided they are not too spicy. Price: around 10 euro. www.poggerino.com

Don’t miss our two videos with the winemaker:

Piero Lanza, biodynamic winemaker at Fattoria Poggerino, Chianti

Fattoria Poggerino #2, in Chianti, biodynamism by Piero Lanza

This post is also available in: Swedish

, ,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

  Subscribe to comments:

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. You can also subscribe without commenting.

Sign up for our Newsletter!

In The BKWine Brief:

Enter your email to get it:

 
Make your friends happy!

And us too. Share & Like this!

Subscribe!

Time to book a wine tour?

Travel on a wine tour with us to Bordeaux, Champagne, Douro, Tuscany, Piedmont, South Africa, Chile-Argentina, and much more...

We know more about wine — and about organising exceptional wine tours — and will give you a better, more extraordinary wine and gourmet experience.

Book your wine tour here with BKWine Tours. Now!

Book a wine tour!